Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Happy Pioneer Day!

Hey family and friends!! Sorry this letter is a day late. No we did not have transfers yesterday, those come next week. But we had Zone Conference which was AMAZING!!! So that's why this letter is late. But here we go...

This last week was very good! We can really see the hand of the Lord in all that we are doing and it's so cool! We have been extremely blessed this week!

On Monday the 16th we went to China Town for Pday! It was a blast! To be honest, China Town wasn't that exciting but to be with the district was fun! I was super excited when we drove into LA! I don't know why but I have this love for LA even though I've never been. So I was so happy! haha Sadly it was just downtown LA so it wasn't like the best part but it was still LA! I can't wait to go back sometime and go to other touristy attractions and stuff! Anyway, it was just a fun time! We went to lunch at the Grand Central Market which I thought was pretty sweet! There were so many different foods there. I didn't branch out too much because I got Mexican food BUT a couple of the Elders got Sea Food so I tried the octopus on their plate! Yes, I, Sister Rachel Wheatley, Miss picky eater tried octopus!!!!! I was freaking out! It sat on my fork for about five minutes before I actually ate it. And to be honest, it wasn't that bad. I will probably never try it again but it wasn't the worst thing I've ever had! Then after lunch we went to China Town. Sadly I ran out of money so I didn't buy anything but it was fun to walk around and see all the different things there.

Then that night we had a lesson with Rose. It went pretty well. She was having a rough day and it was cool because the Elders showed up at the church and gave her a blessing. They said that they were in a lesson and the second they got out, they felt they needed to be at the church but didn't know why. Neither of them really wanted to go but there was something telling them to come. When they pulled up and saw our car and Rose's car at the church. they knew exactly why they were there. So they came over and at that point we all went inside and talked for a bit. Rose is having a hard time the closer it gets to her baptism. She's had to push it back a couple times but finally set a date by her choosing. So when the Elders came, they talked to her for a bit and then Elder Martinez gave her one of the most incredible blessings ever! The second the blessing was over, the whole church felt different. There was so much more peace! And I could just tell that Rose was a LOT more calm! I had never seen her so calm before! Then Elder Martinez told her what she needed to do that night and she was so humble about it and went right away. It was just an incredible thing to witness. I guess you had to be there to understand completely but the Spirit was so strong, you could cut through it with a knife!

Then on Tuesday the 17th, Sister Davidson and I were in charge of our finding activity for the week. We had a very hard time deciding what we were going to do but we knew that it had to be something where the Elders could use their priesthood authority and give blessings. So we went through our ward list and chose names for each of the companionships to go visit. Elder Durfey and Elder Bucholz went by a man in the ward who hasn't been to church in many years. They told us that when they got there, he was so happy to see them! He even asked them to come back and do some service for them next week! So that was really cool! Then Elders Martinez and Williamson had a special "assignment." We had a name of someone who's husband is dying of cancer and the lady we got the name from just knows that the gospel of Jesus Christ is what she needs in her life right now. Well, technically this couple live in Martinez/Williamson's area so we asked them to go by and give a blessing to the husband. They came back and told us that it was really cool to go there because he was outside in his wheel chair when they walked by so they were able to go up and ask him if he wanted a blessing, and he said yes. It was just really cool how our finding activity worked out even though we had a very hard time knowing exactly what to do. It just proves to me more and more that Heavenly Father is in charge and that as long as we do our best, He will help us and make things work out the way they are supposed to!

Then on Thursday the 19th, that was a very happy day for us! We had a church tour with our new investigator Sabrina! We met her on the 4th of July and she is very prepared to learn what we have to teach! She downloaded the Book of Mormon and even prayed to know what church to join. So during the tour she asked many questions and we were able to answer them and teach her about the Restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. The tour just went so well and the Spirit was so strong! Plus, we had a Young Women in the ward, Morgan, come and fellowship and she and Sabrina got along very well! It was just incredible!

Then Friday the 20th we had another tour with the Hagman family! Their son goes to scouts in our ward and has been coming for about three years now. His father is an assembly chairman person and so Sister Campbell asked if they would mind coming on a tour to better understand what we as members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints believe. And that tour went very well also! We were supposed to be done by 11am so that Brother Hagman could go to a meeting but he didn't even leave until 11:30! They had so many questions for us and it was nice to be able to answer those and to teach them a little as well! And the Campbell family was there with us so it was nice! We even gave them a couple Books of Mormon to read and they said they would, which was very awesome! They were really reseptive to what we had to say! The Spirit was also strong  there! I just love being able to feel the Spirit! I don't know what I would do in life if I wasn't able to have the Spirit with me at all times!

On Saturday the 21st, the Rolling Ridge Elders had their finding activity. They have been working with a lady in their ward who's family are all members but she isn't. She's been investigating for nine years and she's closer to baptism then she's ever been. Well, the Elders felt strongly that we should go see her. So we weren't really sure what we would do when we went to her house but after praying and taking a few minutes to listen we realized that we needed to sing her a song. So we sang I Know That My Redeemer Lives. It was an incredible Spirit in that home. Her children were there with us and you could just see the love in their eyes for their mom and the love of Jesus Christ also. This week was just filled with so many Spirit-filled moments! And I LOVED it!

Then on Sunday the 22nd, Sabrina came to church! She called us on Saturday and asked what time church started. We found her a ride from a family who has a son that she's known since elementary school. When we told her at the tour that church was three hours long, her face dropped, but she stayed all three hours and she told us that she loved it! And it was really cool because she ended up knowing a lot more of the Young Women in our ward than she thought she did! And they all welcomed her with open arms! She told us after church that she had many questions and they all got answered during each hour! We are so happy for her! And she's so happy! We can't wait to meet with her again this week and teach her more! She's just eating it all up like I eat chocolate chip cookies LOL ;)

Well, that's about all for this week! Like I said, this week was filled with many spiritual experiences! Today is the first day of the 40-day ward fast for missionary work and we can already see it working! We are so excited to see what this week has to bring! I feel so lucky to be apart of this amazing work! I love being an instrument in the Lord's hands. It's very hard at times, and sometimes I just want to stay at home, but then when miracles happen, I'm glad that I got up that day and pushed through whatever challenges I was facing!

Happy Birthday this week to Uncle Mike Livovich and cousin Micah Wheatley on the 28th and also Daniel Woodland on the 29th! Love you all! Hope you each have a wonderful birthday!

And good luck to Elder Asay as he enters the MTC tomorrow! I'm so happy for you! You will be an amazing instrument in the Lord's hand!

Love you all so much! This Saturday is when we get our transfer calls! I'm a little worried because the work in this area is finally showing and I don't want to leave. I have grown so much these last four months (can you believe I've been in CA for FOUR months?!?!?!) and I want to continue to grow from this area and ward. But at the same time, I know that Heavenly Father has plans for me in other places so if I get transfered, it will be hard but I will know it's a call from the Lord.

Sister Wheatley

No comments:

Post a Comment