Monday, June 18, 2012

Mission President Say What????


First of all, transfer calls were on Saturday night and both Sister Davidson and I are staying in the Carbon Canyon ward! Thank goodness! I was really nervous that I was going to leave and I was NOT ready. But when 10pm came around and the Assistants still hadn't called, we knew we were safe! I have really just loved working in this area. I didn't want to leave. We have so much that I feel we can still do here as a companionship. So I'm glad that we are both staying!

Well, to start off, last Monday the 11th, Sister Davidson and I went and visited Cheryl Thompson. She moved into the ward about an month and a half ago but hasn't been able to come to church because she works and takes classes on Sundays :( So we go visit her and we just have such a good time. When we got there, I wasn't really sure if we should go. I was a little nervous. But when she answered the door, she looked so sad. Turns out her mother has cancer and she was having a bad day. And then the rest of the night that we were with her, she just kept telling us how much she appreciated that we came over. And I'm glad we were able to be there for her. We just love Cheryl and we're so glad that we have gotten to know her. So we spent time with her and neither Sister Davidson or I had eaten dinner because we had been running late so she took us out to a burger joint in town called the Habit (which it's good but not nearly as good as Sammy's Cafe.) So that we nice that we were able to spend time with her when she needed it the most.

Then on Tuesday the 12th, we had interviews with President Becerra. I was excited because every time I've gotten to talk to him I just feel a whole ton more motivated to work harder. And this time was no different! I was really inspired. BUT the scariest part about the interview was when he said that "this mission is getting older and we need more people to train. So I need you to prepare to train. Not right away but soon." Mission president say what??!!!?? I about freaked out! haha I really don't feel like I'm ready to train. I don't know when this will be but I feel like I need to start over again and make a new resolution on my mission to do better. I don't want to train a future sister missionary wrong. So I'm glad that we have a new six weeks that I can learn again and be an even better missionary.

Then on Wednesday the 13th, we went out to lunch with Sister Lancaster. She's actually not in our ward but we met her a couple weeks ago at City Hall where we volunteer. She wanted to take us out and get to know us because well, I'm not really sure why but she did! So we went to the California Pizza Kitchen. Did you know that CPK invented the BBQ Chicken pizza? I didn't! haha But it was a lot of fun to go to lunch with her. She's so nice and it's fun to be able meet new people. I thought that was going to be scary but I'm actually kind of enjoying it. Oh, and speaking of volunteering at City Hall, when we walked in to start working on Wednesday we stood around for about 15 minutes talking to a couple of the employees about missionary work and what we do as missionaries for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. So that was really cool!

Then that night we went to the Relief Society activity where we made Love Bears for the House of Ruth here in California. It was a lot of fun! And the best part about it, while there I was in my first earthquake!!! LOL Ok, that wasn't really the best part about it but it was pretty cool and scary at the same time. My heart was racing for about 15 minutes after it happened. But we were all ok and we didn't hear about anyone in CA getting hurt by it so that's good! But I have officially survived my first (and hopefully my last LOL) earthquake!

Then on Thursday the 14th we had our last District Meeting for the transfer. It was once again very spirit filled! The thing that I love about my District is that we feel like we are one big happy family! We can laugh so hard and joke with each other but when it gets down to it, we can be serious and have a wonderful spirit filled meeting! And right before it was over, Elder Martinez who is our District Leader got up and said something about how he wanted one of us to come up and all the other missionaries were going to say something nice about that missionary. Well, I thought it was going to be one of the Elders but all of a sudden Elder Martinez told me to come up to the front. He said he didn't know why it was me but he felt like maybe it was a prayer I said or just that Heavenly Father wanted me up there, so I went. It really meant a lot to me! I did need it. I hadn't necessarily been praying for anything in particular but at the same time it was something that I needed. And it was nice just to get that extra boost of confidence that will help me in my missionary work, especially as I try harder to be a better missionary so I can be a good trainer in the future. So I'm thankful for that! Then after that we went out to lunch as a District and had a good time! (No one in our district ended up getting transferred so that's nice!)

Well, on Saturday evening we had a BBQ at a home of members in the Rolling Ridge ward. Brother and Sister Norris are the couple that come around and do housing checks and they wanted to have a Zone dinner before transfers. It was a lot of fun! We had hamburgers and what she called "Suicide double chocolate cake!" Sister Davidson and I decided to share a piece of cake but it was so good! And the dinner was just a lot of fun! Being together before transfers is always fun!

Well, yesterday was a good day! Church was amazing as always! Then we were lucky enough to have a very nice dinner at the Matthew's home! We had steak and it was SOOOOO delicious! It was very salty and juicy! And yes, I don't eat steak usually but I've had it about three times since I got out here and now I love it! It was so good! Then after the Matthew's, we went to the Brock's home! Brother Brock is such a funny guy! He was kind of scary the first time we met him but we have grown to love him and joke around! He told us that we could come over "after 1700 hours" if we wanted to have some Father's Day brownies! So we did! haha While we were there, we decided to share a message about Fathers. After we were all done bearing our testimonies and telling how much our father's mean to each of us, he grabbed a pen and paper and had Sister Davidson and I write down our fathers names and numbers, so we did. We thought he was going to wait to call until after we left but he didn't, he called right then and there! It was so cool to hear the one side of a conversation that he had with both of our dads. I wanted to get up and grab the phone but I know that wouldn't have been good. I wish I could have talked to my dad but I'm glad that I was there to hear Brother Brock talk to my dad!

Well, that's about all for this week! I'm so glad that I have at least until the end of July to be in the Carbon Canyon ward/area! I just know that it's going to be good and that good things are about to happen here! I can feel it!

Sorry this is a short letter. Not a whole ton happened this week but it was good! Happy Birthday this week to Maddie Dudley on the 21st, Kris Livovich on the 22nd, Uncle Dan Fleck on the 23rd, Mat Wheatley on the 20th, Jaclynn Wheatley on the 22nd and Lyndsay Myers on the 24th! Hope everyone has a great day!

And I've been meaning to put thank yous to people who write me in my email but I keep forgetting so thanks mom for reminding me last week. There are a lot of people who write me but these are ones that I haven't been able to write back yet... Celeste Hernandez, Bekkah for the package!, the Wheatley family a couple weeks ago at TaLisha's homecoming, Renata Skousen, TaLisha (PS- I hear congratulations are in order!!!!! I need pictures por favor!) and Natalia Hernandez! And Sister King, my mom said that you have written me a few times but I haven't gotten them, but thank you for writing me! Thanks everyone for the letters! I love getting them!

Hope everyone has a great week! Love you all!

Sister Rachel Wheatley

PS- the pictures in here of me and the Elders in our district, I'm giving each of them an award! Sister Davidson and I came up with the thought of giving them each an award that had to do with something they did this transfer so yeah, that's what we did! haha It was a lot of fun!













No comments:

Post a Comment