Monday, March 18, 2013

Mission Boundaries.... say what?


Well hello family and friends!!!

Not a whole ton happened this week. Things are slowing down right now and that's not fun. But that's ok because we are going to find someone new to teach and things are going to be good! :)

So I guess I should probably get started writing this email... We've been here for an hour and I haven't really done anything haha But I'll see if I can hurry and do this.

Tuesday the 12th was a pretty good day. We left the mission!!!! (Hence the subject line...) We got permission from President Becerra because Sister Amataga got garments for Christmas but her mom sent the wrong size so we needed to go exchange them. So we went out to Upland with Brother and Sister Powell. We had a fun time! We didn't do much because all we had to do was exchange things but we also went to Ensign books and got Sister Amataga a CTR ring. It was so tempting in that book store... It's just like going into Deseret Book back home. I wanted everything in there but obviously couldn't buy anything because I am poor LOL But it was fun! We got to take a fun little drive and we felt like such rebels ;)

Sister Amataga scared the bajeebers out of me when I turned around
Then that night we had a wonderful lesson with the Moon family. We haven't seen them in over a month so we were getting a little worried that something had happened. But we watched the Restoration DVD and it turned out to be a wonderful lesson. Before we started the lesson, we had them watch the DVD as if they were Joseph Smith. And when it was over we asked them what they were feeling. It was cool because Brother Moon was reminded how important the Book of Mormon is and Sister Moon realized how important the gospel is in their lives. So while Sister Amataga was talking to them at one point, I felt a prompting to say "If you don't set a date for something, whether it's to stop whatever is holding you back from being baptized or coming to church, it will never happen." So I said that and they agreed. They knew that but there was never really "a reason" to do anything about it until we said something, or that's just what I get from it... So they said that they were not able to come to church yesterday but they set a date for Sunday the 24th and we have another lesson with them tomorrow and then we will follow-up on Saturday at some point. So we are so excited and hopefully this will get them to move forward.

On Wednesday the 13th, oh my gosh what a fun evening we had! Elders Gracia, Yoshikawa, Sister Amataga and I were all apart of the stake mutual night. Each ward put videos together of popular YouTube videos and made funny things out of them. The Glendora 5th Ward did the Harlem Shake as part of their video and Sister Amataga and I had a couple seconds in the video. It was awesome! And then the Elders and I were part of a skit while Sister Amataga played the piano for it. There were little 8 and 9 year olds saying things about going on a mission and then they started singing "I Hope They Call Me On A Mission" and when it says, "when I have grown a foot or two" the Elders and I came out in front of everyone. It was so fun! haha And the videos were SOOO funny! I couldn't stop laughing!!! Especially at the opening video of the young men in the stake who made a music video to "What Makes You Beautiful" by OneDirection. Holy dang, it was awesome!!! It was just a fun night!
 
Legends Restaurant in Upland, California (outside of mission boundaries, with permission from the Prez)

Then Thursday the 14th we had District Meeting and President Becerra came to it. And it was a very good meeting. We talked about "Teach People, Not Lessons" and it was really good! The Spirit was so strong and we learned some things that will help with our two areas. And having President Becerra there was wonderful too! I love when I can learn from him so I was not bummed that he came to our district meeting haha

Then Friday the 15th was a good day. We had two lessons that day. One with our investigator Anthony is the singles ward and another with our investigator Mackenzie in the family ward. Anthony's lesson went pretty well. We taught the Plan of Salvation and that is a lesson that I still struggle with. I don't feel like I can teach it very well but we have to teach it so I might as well pray during the whole thing and work well with my companions and the lesson will turn out the way it needs to. And our lesson with Mackenzie... yeah, the most awkward lesson ever! haha We had to teach about the Law of Chastity and it was just awkward. Thank goodness we had a Sister in the ward who taught at the MTC for two years come with us to teach this lesson. She really helped us out. I think I would rather teach the Plan of Salvation a million times and mess up on it then teach the Law of Chastity. It is not fun! haha But we have to teach that lesson because it is part of what we believe so I'll get over the awkwardness eventually.

At Ensign Books in Upland, Cali
Sister Amataga at Ensign Books in Upland, Cali
Then Saturday the 16th we spent the day with Reyna from the singles ward and did some fun missionary work! haha We had an after baptism lesson with Henry and Peter and we just talked about missionary work and temple and family history. It was a good lesson but oh my goodness, those boys. haha They asked some funny questions that we all looked at each other and just laughed because we didn't even know what the heck they were talking about. They are just way too smart for us and they are only 12 and 9 years old! But it was a good lesson with them.

 
Then we went out to lunch with another member in the YSA ward and then did service at the VanWyk's in the family ward. So it was a good fun day!

But that's about all that happened this week. Nothing too exciting! But it was nice! This week we are hitting the pavement hard because the weather will be BEAUTIFUL and hopefully we will be led to someone who is ready to receive the gospel, or they will be led to us. Things are slowing down here but we aren't going to let that get us down :)

Well, thanks to mom for the St. Patrick's Day package this week. I was all excited but I was sad yesterday when the only green I could wear was a pair of earrings. If I had been at home I would have been all decked out for the holiday haha But it was ok, at least I didn't get pinched ;)

And a very happy birthday to Celeste Hernandez today and Margo on the 22nd. Love you both tons!

Love always, Sister Rachel Wheatley


Restaurant in Upland, California


No comments:

Post a Comment