Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Transfer #5, Area #1, Companion #2


Well, another week has come and gone. And today starts a new transfer! I can't believe how fast the six weeks go. I feel like we just had transfers a couple weeks ago. But I am staying in Chino Hills in the Carbon Canyon ward but no I am not training, there aren't any English Sisters coming in for the next two transfers. But Sister Carrell is my new companion and she's barely off her 12-week program so I am "senior" companion...even though technically we don't have junior/senior companions here in this mission. But yeah. Not gonna lie I'm a little nervous about being the senior comp but I am excited. I have been here for 24 weeks now, I think it's time for me to "spread my wings and fly" like I told Cherryl on Sunday. So I think this will be good for me.

Ok, now to let you know what happened all this week. on Tuesday the 4th, Sister Davidson and Sister Filimoehala had zone council so Sister Carrell and I spent the day here in Chino Hills. It was funny because our ward was on the edge of their seats all week knowing that we were getting transfer calls this week so I didn't want to freak them out by going past some of their houses so I just told Sister Carrell that we would go to potential investigators and see them. Well, turns out we could have gone to members houses since Sister Carrell is now here in Chino Hills with me haha But it was a good day and we got to go by and talk to a few potentials that we've been needing to see.

On Wednesday the 5th we had interviews with President Becerra. I was really looking forward to this interview for some reason and by the time Wednesday came, the interview lasted for maybe 10 minutes. It went SOOOO fast! I was totally bummed! But he asked each of us to find our favorite obedience scripture and as I was praying to know which one I should use, I just kept coming back to 1 Nephi 3:7 where Nephi says "I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded..." And I was totally confused because I didn't know what that had to do with obedience. But the more I read it and thought about it, I realized that when the Lord commands something, we have to "go and do" and when we "go and do" we are being obedient. I never thought of that scripture in that way. It is now one of my favorite Book of Mormon scriptures. And now everytime I see the word command, I think to myself, "What is the Lord wanting us to obey?" So I thought that was pretty cool!

Then on Thursday the 6th we had Zone Meeting. President Becerra started this new thing where the first Thursday of every month we meet as a zone. So I was happy about that! And the meeting was SO good! I learned so much from that meeting. At the beginning of the meeting, Elder Lindsay and Elder McKee asked us to think of a question we wanted answered by the end of the meeting. And Sister Davidson and I had been talking earlier that morning about something and she said, "You should go into Zone Meeting with a question." So I had been thinking about it and when they asked us, I really thought even harder about what question I wanted answered. And by the end of the meeting, I didn't really get an answer. But then they asked another question, or a statement, that said, "After this meeting I now know...." and as I was writing the answer, I was almost done and my hand just kept writing and by the time I was done writing, I realized that the question I had at the beginning of the lesson had been answered! I just couldn't believe it! It was something that had been on my mind for a while and I was finally able to move on from the question and be happy! After our zone meeting, we all went out to Cici's for lunch! It was so good and so fun! I just love my zone! It's been so much fun to spend time with all of them these last 24 weeks! I think it will still be fun but every companionship in our zone had a change so it's not going to be the same. But that's ok! I'm sure we'll have just as much fun together!

Then on Friday the 7th we had a lesson with our investigator Sabrina and Rachel Hendertilo from the Young Singles Adult ward came with us! Oh my goodness! It was an amazing lesson! The Spirit was there so strongly! Everytime we asked Sabrina a question, she answered it better than I've ever heard anyone answer these questions! Sabrina has such a strong, special Spirit! It's been so amazing to see how much Sabrina has grown in the last two months that we've been meeting with her. She was amazing to start with, but I have just seen so much growth! She is so happy! She has so many questions and just loves learning about the gospel. She can't wait to be baptized! Sadly she will most likely have to wait until she is 18 years old though. But she is so strong! It was just an amazing lesson!

Ok...Now onto Saturday the 8th. Transfer calls! We had a district lunch at Chili's (which I was happy about because I have been craving chips and salsa FOREVER!!!!) That was fun! Then Sister Davidson and I went tracting and went to see a family we're trying to set up a tour with but they weren't there, so we just walked around their neighborhood for a few minutes. As we were walking, Sister Davidson cut infront of me haha and walked over to a couple guys at their house. It was really cool because one of them was really interested in learning about what we had to say and he had so many questions that he had been wondering about for the last couple weeks. So we ended up talking to him for almost an hour! It was crazy because there were so many things that kept happening where we knew that it was the adversary trying to get in the way. But we were able to keep talking to him and we actually have a lesson set up with him tonight! So we're excited for that! The only sad thing is that we'll probably have to pass him off to the Zone Leaders because they are over the singles ward and he's 19 years old. But he's very happy to be meeting with us because he's had so many questions on his mind lately that he even said himself that he's been wanting answers and he recognizes that Heavenly Father sent us to him! So that's way cool!

Then that night, our district all met up at the church to see Elder Yoshikawa do the "Gallon Challenge." He wanted to drink a gallon of milk in 30 minutes! Crazy right?! But he wanted to. So we got together and he failed! :( But it was fun to watch it as he was trying! Then we all got our transfer calls! It was a very bitter-sweet time. I had a hard time with it, worse than Sister Davidson! haha She was so excited to leave because she likes change but I've never been good with change so I was sad. Plus Sister Davidson has taught me so much that I was sad to have her leave. But I know that Heavenly Father trusts me to be with Sister Carrell so it will all be good! I'm excited to still be here in Chino Hills! I'm thinking I could stay another two or three transfers and spend half my mission here! haha I've already spent 1/3 of my mission here so I'm excited!

Then on Sunday the 9th, WOW! Such an amazing day! Sabrina came to church! Cherryl came to church! The Spirit was amazing at church! Just so wonderful! I felt bad for Sabrina though because she was having a hard time knowing that Sister Davidson was leaving. We have both grown to love Sabrina and Sabrina has grown to love us! So it was hard! But at least they can still keep in contact with eachother! And having Cherryl at church, just so happy! It was just a good day! And last night we went to Arcadia for the farewell of the missionaries going home! Such an amazing Spirit there too!

Ok, I know this is a short email but we have a lesson so I had to write this as quick as possible! We didn't have much time to do anything because we were in Arcadia all morning for transfers. So yeah, so sorry this isn't as long as other emails. But I hope that everything is good back home. Thanks for the letter and pictures this week Jessie! Grace looked so happy in those pictures! And a very happy birthday to Jose last week, Allie and Mandy today, and Trent and Cameron McKee on the 14th! Love you all and hope your days are amazing!

Gotta run!

-Sister Rachel Wheatley
 









PS - Could I ask for something??? Anyone reading this... Could I possibly get conversion stories from anyone who is willing to write and send me theirs? Whether you were born in the church or you're a convert, we each have our own conversion stories and I would love to read each of them and I know that it could help having conversion stories to tell people that I come in contact with. Thanks tons!

No comments:

Post a Comment